Tuesday 21 June 2016

Mini Book Review: The Lost Hero

Hello there guys! It's been a while and I'm so sorry about that, but it turns out that I didn't get to work less this month. That's why I decided to start posting mini book reviews, because I'm so behind on telling you about all the books I've read the past two months. These book reviews will not contain any spoilery-contents which will make them a lot smaller and quicker to read (and write...). I'm so sorry, but I just don't have the time at the moment to write any thorough reviews, although I'd really love to. Hope I'll be able to do that soon again! Hope you'll enjoy my review nonetheless!



About the novel

Title: The Lost Hero
Series: The Heroes of Olympus #1
Author: Rick Riordan
Genres: Fantasy, Greek Mythology, Adventure, Young Adult, Middle Grade
Published: October 12th, 2010
Read: May 2016
My Rating: 

My Copy

Publisher: Puffin Books
Cover: Paperback
Purchase Location: Amazon, Online


Goodreads Summary

Jason has a problem. He doesn’t remember anything before waking up in a bus full of kids on a field trip. Apparently he has a girlfriend named Piper, and a best friend named Leo. They’re all students at a boarding school for “bad kids.” What did Jason do to end up here? And where is here, exactly? - Piper has a secret. Her father has been missing for three days, ever since she had that terrifying nightmare about his being in trouble. Piper doesn’t understand her dream, or why her boyfriend suddenly doesn’t recognize her. When a freak storm hits during the school trip, unleashing strange creatures and whisking her, Jason, and Leo away to someplace called Camp Half-Blood, she has a feeling she’s going to find out. - Leo has a way with tools. When he sees his cabin at Camp Half-Blood, filled with power tools and machine parts, he feels right at home. But there’s weird stuff, too—like the curse everyone keeps talking about, and some camper who;s gone missing. Weirdest of all, his bunkmates insist that each of them—including Leo—is related to a god. Does this have anything to do with Jason's amnesia, or the fact that Leo keeps seeing ghosts?



My Review


First off, let me tell you this: If you don’t know it yet, I’m a really big Rick Riordan fan! His writing is amazing and I loved the Percy Jackson series which makes me confused about taking so long to finally pick up the Heroes of Olympus series. Well, all that counts is that I did pick it up and what a blast I had reading this first book! If I would have to describe this book in just one word it would be: fun!

Reading about Greek Mythology never was this entertaining in school and I definitely never learned as much as I did thanks to Riordan. His writing is so engulfing you can’t put down the book (although it’s massive – it’s got 550 pages). Getting back into the Halfblood world was a great ride, but it was just missing one thing… Percy Jackson! I didn’t believe my friend from school when he told me last year that this new series would start without my favourite character. However, reading The Lost Hero made me realise that Rick has so much to offer and so many great characters developed that I only missed Percy half as much as I expected to.

For all of you, who haven’t read The Heroes of Olympus series yet, go ahead and get your copies! If you haven’t read the Percy Jackson series either, then you know what I’ll put on top of your to-read list. Riordan has a flow in his writing that makes it hard to concentrate on your real life surroundings even after finishing a book. You try to see hidden Greek things everywhere. You even start to imagine that it’s actually Greek Gods who are responsible for the miserable weather at the moment (seriously, it’s June and it shouldn’t be raining this much without even a trace of summer!). Learning about Greek Mythology has never been so fun and the deeper you dig into these books, the more your knowledge grows! (But be aware that you shouldn’t believe right about everything Rick tells you, he applies a lot to modern times and I hope nobody actually believes there was a Olympian Weather Forecast run by Aeolus.

I'd like to know

What are your thoughts on The Lost Hero? Have you read the Heroes of Olympus or any other books by Rick Riordan?