Monday 29 August 2016

Book Review: Me Before You


About the novel

Title: Me Before You
Series: Me Before You #1
Author: Jojo Moyes
Genres: Romance, Contemporary, Fiction, Drama
Published: January 5th 2012
Read: August 2016

My Copy

Publisher: Michael Joseph (UK)
Cover: Paperback
Purchase Location: Hugendubel, Germany



My Rating:


Goodreads Summary

Lou Clark knows lots of things. She knows how many footsteps there are between the bus stop and home. She knows she likes working in The Buttered Bun tea shop and she knows she might not love her boyfriend Patrick. What Lou doesn't know is she's about to lose her job or that knowing what's coming is what keeps her sane. Will Traynor knows his motorcycle accident took away his desire to live. He knows everything feels very small and rather joyless now and he knows exactly how he's going to put a stop to that. What Will doesn't know is that Lou is about to burst into his world in a riot of colour. And neither of them knows they're going to change the other for all time.



My Review


We’ve all got them. Those books sitting in your shelves for ages without being read. Well, I decided it was finally time to actually reading some of those books and I started with Me Before You by Jojo Moyes. I bought this a while back and never got to read it because it just looked so big and I’m not actually a romance-novel girl. I don’t even remember why I bought it in the first place… However, I wanted to read this before seeing the movie because I knew that once I saw the film I’d probably never read it.

So, I didn’t have all too high expectations of this book, and I wasn’t disappointed by it either. It just wasn’t quite my cup of tea. I think I was hoping that I’d really love it, and I just didn’t. The first 200 pages were read really easily and I did those in one sitting. But then it started to bore me a little. Also I was dreading the ending because I had a pretty good impression about what was going to happen and I just didn’t want to get there yet.

I’m not sure if I’m happy or sad about the ending being predictable. I guess there would be a lot of people hoping for a happy ending (and I’m not saying that there isn’t one), but what exactly would that happy ending look like?

Jojo Moyes addresses a very controversial topic. Choice in life and life’s end. This is very important and to this day there’s still so much disagreement about this which makes it so much more important to talk about it. I do not want to go into this right now and I’m also not going to tell you where I stand on this because I believe it a very personal opinion and should be considered and treated respectfully.

Me Before You gave me a lot to think about and that’s what I’m looking for in books. If you still think about the content a while after finishing a story then I’m thankful for picking up the book. I just wish I’d have liked it more. I can’t wait to watch the movie, though!

I'd like to know

Have you read Me Before You or any other books by Jojo Moyes? What were your thoughts on this novel and did you like the ending? If so are you going to read the sequel or not? I'm not sure if I should because I didn't really like the first one and now I don't want to waste my time on another book that I probably won't like... Or should I give it a try?