Tuesday 25 July 2017

My First Blog Post In Like Forever

Hey there fellow Bookworms and Book Bloggers!

I know it’s been a while and I’m not even sure anybody’s still hanging around this blog, but I just wanted to let you know:


No, I didn’t get swallowed by a beast or thrown into the sea by a long lost evil twin sister (you get extra points if you get those references) and I hope neither of those things will ever happen to me.

I’d like to sum up the past couple of months and explain why I’ve been absent, so you’ll understand that I didn’t just ditch my blog without a “good” reason.

1. University stress

So in mid February my second semester at Uni started and I was just as invested in it as the first semester (actually even more so). I got swamped up in all my work right away and barely had time to read any comics on the way to lectures. The freetime I did have, I spent dancing or sleeping (whilst watching series - win-win I would say). Then when the end of semester exams came up it all started to fall apart. I was really stressed out, spent every waking minute studying (emphasis on the dying part) and in the end it wasn’t enough. More about this further down in the text..


2. Work

Next to my academic studies I also had an energy-consuming job where I spent as many hours as possible to earn money for you know … BOOKS! (Which just stacked themselves up on my floor as I currently have not one single space left on my shelves.)


3. Dance

In addition to my job and Uni I continued with my full-time dance training (5 times a week á 3 hours a day). Guess who’s starting therapy now for her back problems. But I'm pretty sure that this is going to sort itself out quickly so I'm actually looking forward to all that back-muscles-workout.

4. Summer Holidays

So as I hinted at above, turns out all my hard work during the semester wasn’t enough, and I failed my exams. Which means I can’t study computer science anymore. At the beginning of my summer vacation I was dreading those results and trying to distract myself with things to do (festivals, concerts, cinema & friends). Then when I got the bad news I needed further distraction because at the beginning I just couldn’t cope with that. Now things are turning upwards again and I’m looking at other options. But basically, I have no idea what I want to do with my life.

5.  Dissatisfaction

Although I managed to read quite some books and comics through this time (I squeezed them in whenever possible, every 5 minute break was worth opening a book) I never got to actually writing the reviews. I made tons of notes and squiggles everywhere, writing down my thoughts because I knew this would become useful later when I’d finally have time to write them. But every time I went on my blog I was so dissatisfied with how it looked I just couldn’t bring myself to post something.



What's going to happen now?

I was - well, let's change that to am kind of fed up with myself for not blogging in such a long time. First of all because of the commitments I made with NetGalley. I read most of those books and graphic novels I signed up for, but didn’t review them yet (which is really unfair and I apologize to the publishing companies who gave me access to all those ARCs and reviewer copies!!). I definitely plan on reviewing every single one of those copies, but it’s going to take time because I don’t want to just post the reviews on my blog and be done with it, I'd rather give it a little more time and put enough energy into writing the reviews those books deserve.

So whilst I’m going to write those reviews one by one, sometimes two by two, I’m also going to overthink my blog website. I’m kind of tired of the layout, but am not quite sure yet what to change, so I'm going to have to spend a lot of time and energy on deciding that.

I’m really going to try to keep up blogging because it was something I really loved and put so much time and effort in it and don’t want to throw away. I hope this will help distract me even a bit more from all the happenings in my live right now and maybe help me decide on what I actually want to do.

I’m going to take things slow though. I do not want to be overwhelmed with my blog again and lose interest after a short time and go on another hiatus. So I’m going to do this in a pace that I’m comfortable with. There may be one post every day, maybe even two posts a day, but it might even be just one review a week.

So here’s to a new blogging start! (I’m actually taking a sip of Rosé right now in celebration! Oh and by the way: I turned 21 this month! So I’ll have to go and change my bio up a little, too).