Monday 23 May 2016

5 Dystopian Books I'm Dying To Read

Hey there. It's time for another 2016 Dystopia Reading Challenge Discussion Round (I haven't done one for quite a while, so I apologise for that and hope you'll enjoy this post!). Today I want to talk to you guys about one of my favourite subjects in the book world. Any guesses? Why yes, I'm talking about Dystopia (what else?). Here's a list of the top 5 Dystopian Books I really really want to read. Now, because there are obviously many more books on my tbr list, I narrowed them down to the ones that I currently obsess over in my head without having read them yet. Do you do that too or am I the only one who thinks about plots that I can't even really understand yet? Anyways, without further ado, here are my current Top 5!


5. The Shatter Me Series by Tahereh Mafi


Shatter Me #1 Summary

Juliette hasn’t touched anyone in exactly 264 days. The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette’s touch is fatal. As long as she doesn’t hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don’t fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color. The Reestablishment said their way was the only way to fix things, so they threw Juliette in a cell. Now so many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war – and The Reestablishment has changed its mind. Maybe Juliette is more than a tortured soul stuffed into a poisonous body. Maybe she’s exactly what they need right now. Juliette has to make a choice: Be a weapon. Or be a warrior.




Why I'm interested in this series

I've heard a lot about this series, good and bad, and I want to make my own opinion on these books. The premise sounds real interesting and I think this could be a real interesting story to read. Also it does not yet sound as if there would be the typical love-triangle involved in the story, but who knows. Maybe the boys just aren't mentioned yet. (I'm still hoping though that that will stay that way.)

4. The Matched Series by Ally Condie


Matched #1 Summary

In the Society, officials decide. Who you love. Where you work. When you die. Cassia has always trusted their choices. It’s hardly any price to pay for a long life, the perfect job, the ideal mate. So when her best friend appears on the Matching screen, Cassia knows with complete certainty that he is the one…until she sees another face flash for an instant before the screen fades to black. Now Cassia is faced with impossible choices: between Xander and Ky, between the only life she’s known and a path no one else has ever dared follow—between perfection and passion. Matched is a story for right now and storytelling with the resonance of a classic.




Why I'm interested in this series

This series has been on my TBR list for years now. A friend of mine even included it into her Finals' paper and she keeps pushing me to read it. I just haven't found the time yet, but one day I'll definitely read this series. The blurb sounds typical dystopian and kind of like the Divergent series, just with the slight difference that you don't choose your faction, but your love? Not sure if that's really true, but can't wait to find out.

3. The Selection Series by Kiera Cass


The Selection #1 Summary

For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon. But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks. Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself—and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.




Why I'm interested in this series

So many people have told me to read this series. I can't even believe that I didn't start it yet. It sounds a little too girly (not in an offensive way!) for my taste because I'm not that into books who talk a lot about dresses, make up and so on, but if it turns out anything similar to Rebel Belle I'll probably really enjoy it!

2. Ready Player One by Ernest Cline


Ready Player One Summary

It's the year 2044, and the real world is an ugly place. Like most of humanity, Wade Watts escapes his grim surroundings by spending his waking hours jacked into the OASIS, a sprawling virtual utopia that lets you be anything you want to be, a place where you can live and play and fall in love on any of ten thousand planets. And like most of humanity, Wade dreams of being the one to discover the ultimate lottery ticket that lies concealed within this virtual world. For somewhere inside this giant networked playground, OASIS creator James Halliday has hidden a series of fiendish puzzles that will yield massive fortune — and remarkable power — to whoever can unlock them. For years, millions have struggled fruitlessly to attain this prize, knowing only that Halliday's riddles are based in the pop culture he loved — that of the late twentieth century. And for years, millions have found in this quest another means of escape, retreating into happy, obsessive study of Halliday's icons. Like many of his contemporaries, Wade is as comfortable debating the finer points of John Hughes's oeuvre, playing Pac-Man, or reciting Devo lyrics as he is scrounging power to run his OASIS rig. And then Wade stumbles upon the first puzzle. Suddenly the whole world is watching, and thousands of competitors join the hunt — among them certain powerful players who are willing to commit very real murder to beat Wade to this prize. Now the only way for Wade to survive and preserve everything he knows is to win. But to do so, he may have to leave behind his oh-so-perfect virtual existence and face up to life — and love — in the real world he's always been so desperate to escape. A world at stake. A quest for the ultimate prize. Are you ready?




Why I'm interested in this book

Okay, have you read the summary? Then I don't think I have to explain any further why I want to read this book so bad! It sounds so awesome I can't believe it's been sitting on my shelves patiently waiting for me to grab it for a month now. I really have to get to it and start this one already!

1. The Last Star by Rick Yancey


The Last Star Summary

The Last Star is the heart-stopping finale to the bestselling 5th Wave series by award-winning author, Rick Yancey. Perfect for fans of The Hunger Games, Divergent and The Maze Runner. We’re here, then we’re gone, and that was true before they came. That’s always been true. The Others didn’t invent death; they just perfected it. Gave death a face to put back in our face, because they knew that was the only way to crush us. It won’t end on any continent or ocean, no mountain or plain, jungle or desert. It will end where it began, where it had been from the beginning, on the battlefield of the last beating human heart. Master storyteller Rick Yancey invokes triumph, loss, and unrelenting action as the fate of the planet is decided in the conclusion to this epic series.




Why I'm so excited about this book

IT'S THE FINAL BOOK IN THE 5TH WAVE SERIES! Sorry, I just can't contain myself. I've been waiting for this book to come out for such a long time, I can't even think about anything else. This is by far my most anticipated new release in 2016! And now I'm just waiting for my order to get delivered to my house which I've preordered so many months before the publishing date. Those of you who haven't read a book in the 5th Wave series go and grab a copy and start reading! Seriously, this is my favourite dystopian series and I'm so sad about it ending. But still, I can't wait to finally figure out how it will end!

I'd like to know

So yeah, these are my Top 5 Dystopian Novels I'm dying to read. Which 5 books are on the top of your list? Do we have any in common? Or do you have other suggestions that I should check out? Let me know in the comments and have a great day!