Monday 7 March 2016

Book Review: The Infinite Sea


Title: The Infinite Sea
Author: Rick Yancey
Series: The 5th Wave #2
Genres: YA, Dystopia, Sci-Fi, Post-Apocalyptic, Fantasy
Published: September 16th 2014
Read: November 2015
Rating: 4.5  


My Copy

Publisher: Penguin Books Ltd
Cover: Paperback
Purchase Location: Casa del Libro, Madrid


Goodreads summary: The hugely anticipated follow-up to the New York Times bestselling The 5th Wave, hailed by Justin Cronin as “wildly entertaining.” For Cassie Sullivan and the rest of Earth’s remaining human survivors, the situation was already desperate when the 5th Wave hit. It’s about to get worse. No one yet knows the depths to which Earth’s conquerors—the Others—will sink in order to rid the Earth of the human infestation, nor have they guessed the heights to which the human spirit can reach. Characters introduced in Book One will come to the fore—and others will face the ultimate test. Readers will watch in awe as the Others give their answer to Cassie’s defiance.


Other books in the series

 

The 5th Wave (#1) (review) & The Last Star (#3) (WoW)


My Review

After being so impressed by the first book I was kind of scared of the second installment in the trilogy. But all worries were for nothing because the second book was just as good! The book was filled with suspense (that nearly killed me at times, I mean I just have to know if my favourite characters are alive or not and yes Evan, I'm talking about you). A major plot twist toward the end, although it wasn't the only one in the book just one that I really didn't see coming. It changes the entire perspective of the story and I need answers Rick! You better answer all of them in The Last Star

If your world would get invaded by aliens how would you react? And especially after losing so many people you love, wouldn't you seek revenge? I can imagine that every little bit of revenge I could get I would go after, even if it wouldn't change a thing. Now imagine falling in love with the enemy. What must that feel like? Although there are a lot of controversies about this subject I totally ship Evan and Cassie together. Yes, it's another dystopian bad-guy good-girl relationship with a lot of drama, but come on. I'm a sucker for these things. 

What I really like about this book is that there are so many characters. And at the same time, this is the thing that I dislike the most. I don't dislike the characters per se, but all the different point of view. Rick managed to change the pov every time things got interesting. When I wanted to know how Cassie handled a situation it would change to Ringer's perspective and then again back to Evan when Ringer was in an interesting situation and on and on. Also, it took too long to change from one person to the other, which made the book a little breath-holding and I wish that we could have read more about what Cassie and the gang were doing in the end of the book (not that Ringer's story wasn't worth telling, just that you didn't know what was going on on the other side of the country - okay, maybe not the other side of the country seeing that America is so large, but my geographical memory of the story isn't that great). 

Now I really need some answers. What will happen to Ringer? What does this huge plot twist at the end of the book really mean? How will the relationship between Evan and Cassie end? Will the world go under? And last but not least: Who are the real villains?