Sunday 6 March 2016

The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones



Title: City of Bones
Author: Cassandra Clare
Series: The Mortal Instruments #1
Genres: YA, Fantasy, Paranormal, Supernatural, Magic, Romance
Published: February 19th 2008
Read: February 2016
Rating: 4.5  


My Copy

Publisher: Walker Books
Cover: Paperback
Purchase Location: Can't remember


Goodreads Summary: When Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder. Much less a murder commited by three teenagers covered with odd markings. This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons--and keeping the odd werewolves and vampires in line. It's also her first meeting with gorgeous, golden-haired Jace. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in an ordinary mundane like Clary? And how did she suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know....


Other books in the series

   
 

City of Ashes (#2), City of Glass (#3), Ciy of Fallen Angels (#4), City of Lost Souls (#5) & City of Heavenly Fire (#6)


My Review

Okay. So I've always loved the Shadowhunting world. I've read all books already years ago before even the movie came out. I fell in love with Cassandra Clare's fantasy world from the beginning I opened the cover of City of Bones. You might know that there is a new TV series now called Shadowhunters which I absolutely love! After a few episodes I decided that I just had to reread the books because it's been years and I want to remember all the small details. In February I started with City of Bones and I got hooked again from the first word on. Now, in this post I won't compare the book to the series because in my opinion you have to compare the series to the books (and yes, there is a difference in that). But that's going to have to wait for another post (which will probably come then, when the first season is over). 

Rereading this book was one of the best ideas I had had in a long time. I absolutely loved getting sucked back up in the shadowhunting world again and I can't think of anything negative about this book. I like all the characters (except Valentine, the bad guy in the whole story who wants to take over the world and destroy most of it). 

There are a lot of characters who play an important role in this book series and the first book serves to create some kind of bottom layer to later build up on. As I know already everybody's ending, it's still very interesting to go back to the beginning where certain relationships haven't taken up yet, where the family relationships aren't that complicated yet and where you can tell who the good guys are and who the bad guys are (well, except one plot twist who was well unexpected (the first time) about a certain shadowhunter who only played the part of a good guy). 

I really enjoyed how complicated-free this first book was. Everything's understandable and you can read it in under 4 sittings (because it still has a lot of pages and you might actually want some sleep inbetween). I definitely recommend this book to everyone who hasn't set foot in the shadowhunter's world because it's absolutely great!

I read this book as part of the Flights of Fantasy Reading Challenge 2016