Friday 25 March 2016

Book Review: Attachments


About the novel

Title: Attachments
Author: Rainbow Rowell
Genres: Romance, Fiction, Contemporary, (Young) Adult
Published: March 27th 2012
Read: March 2016
My Rating:    

My Copy

Publisher: Plume
Cover: Paperback
Purchase Location: Kinokunyia, Singapore


Goodreads Summary

Beth Fremont and Jennifer Scribner-Snyder know that somebody is monitoring their work e-mail. (Everybody in the newsroom knows. It's company policy.) But they can't quite bring themselves to take it seriously. They go on sending each other endless and endlessly hilarious e-mails, discussing every aspect of their personal lives. Meanwhile, Lincoln O'Neill can't believe this is his job now- reading other people's e-mail. When he applied to be "internet security officer," he pictured himself building firewalls and crushing hackers- not writing up a report every time a sports reporter forwards a dirty joke. When Lincoln comes across Beth's and Jennifer's messages, he knows he should turn them in. But he can't help being entertained-and captivated-by their stories. By the time Lincoln realizes he's falling for Beth, it's way too late to introduce himself. What would he say . . . ?



My Review


First off, this is the only Rainbow Rowell novel that didn't meet my expectations. I would even go so far as to say that it disappointed me. At first I thought this would be a very interesting book to read because it is divided into two kinds of chapters. One narrates the protagonist’s life and the other shows us snippets of e-mails sent between two friends. With time I realised how boring Lincoln’s life actually was and not only did I feel sorry for him, but I eventually also got bored myself. It took me over a week to read this book (and this is definitely not only fault of my pain medication), but because the story is really slow-paced.

If you’re hired to read people’s mail and you don’t already object from the beginning, then it’s inevitable that you’ll question the moral behind your actions some time, right? And although Lincoln questions himself if it’s right what he’s doing, he still continues. In fact he even zooms in on a special person and only reads her e-mails thoroughly. (In my opinion that’s just wrong, I call that stalking.) Stalking is a big part of this story because his love interest crossed some lines as well. I mean following someone home? That’s nasty. Especially if you have to follow them by car. Well as you can see this book has some weird actions in it, but the rest isn’t that bad.

Save to say, I didn’t enjoy this book too much which is a real shame because I’ve read other books from Rainbow Rowell and enjoyed them so much and practically devoured every single one (Fangirl, Eleanor & Park, Landline). Stubborn as I am, I forbid myself to read another book before I finished Attachments because I already did that with Empty Me Out by S.A. Healay just before. This was the best decision I could have made because the last two chapters of this book made up for the entire previous 300 pages. Those two chapters (those of you who’ve read the book will know) were so romantic, also a little weird, but still romantic, that my heart was full again with love and hope. Not that I would stalk someone now and hope that they’ll fall in love with me and forgive me for following them around the whole time – that’s still creepy.These two chapters brought my rating a whole higher.

I'd like to know

Have you read Attachments by Rainbow Rowell or any other books by her? Did you enjoy reading it? What would you do if you discovered someone was reading all your personal e-mails? Also maybe you've noticed I made a few changes with the layout. Hope you like it! It's a working progress.